Critical. Subversive. Irrepressible.

AWOL

Critical. Subversive. Irrepressible.

AWOL

Critical. Subversive. Irrepressible.

AWOL

Magazine Release
The Magazine has been released!

The Hum: Under pressure

Students tackle pressures and expectations of AU internship culture

This semester the Hum team interviewed students about the internship culture at AU. We spoke to students in different years about the pressure they feel to get an internship, how they feel about the ones they have and how they deal with rejection.

First-year Nodoka Katsura is an international student from Japan. She talked about finding an internship as an international student.

“Something I noticed when I came to D.C. is that D.C. has this overachievement culture which other states don’t have because, you know, we are very fortunate with our locations, we have a lot of job opportunities,” Katsura said.

Sophomore Verity Sullivan ended her first year disappointed that she did not get an internship that year, but looking back now, she said it was ultimately for the best.

“My spring semester and fall semester of sophomore year gave me time to have a good time in college because as much as college is about academics and preparing for your career, you should be having fun in college,” Sullivan said. “It gave me time to have fun and also to wait for the perfect opportunity, and now I feel like I’m way more prepared to look ahead to summer and fall of junior year.”

Brandon Smith, who is graduating in Fall 2024, said while he feels the pressure to get internships at AU, it also motivates him.

“It definitely lights a fire under you, but also it can lead to insecurity when you’re constantly hearing about all the great stuff other people are doing, and you feel like you might be getting left behind,” Smith said.

Finally, AWOL spoke to Hokulani Panerio-Langer, a first-year who found an internship through the Cornerstone program. She stressed the importance of AU students finding their self-worth beyond internships.

“I think that it is important for AU students to remember that we need to take care of ourselves first and that having an internship is important, and it’s helpful, but it’s not everything,” Panerio-Langer said.

To hear the rest of these students’ stories, listen to our latest episode of The Hum on your favorite podcast listening platform!

Casey Bacot