Critical. Subversive. Irrepressible.

AWOL

Critical. Subversive. Irrepressible.

AWOL

Critical. Subversive. Irrepressible.

AWOL

Magazine Release
The Magazine has been released!

Ripped from the Wall: Investigating IAP

An exploration of AU’s International Accelerator Program

This semester, the Ripped from the Wall podcast team analyzed American University’s International Accelerator Program or IAP. The team looked into whether and how the program helps to support first-year international students and whether international students in the program have equal access to campus services during their first year at AU. The IAP students we interviewed also talked about off-campus life, the quality of their housing accommodations and access to transportation.

The IAP is a non-degree program for international students who lack the required English proficiency to be admissible to degree programs at AU, according to the program’s website. Since the program started, it has consisted of the Extended Accelerator track, a four-term program, and the Academic Accelerator track, a three-term program.

Students in the IAP program live in the Park Crest apartment complex located in Glover Park, over a mile away from the AU campus. Some IAP students said they dislike the location of their housing and
the lack of an AU shuttle bus or convenient WMATA options between the apartments and campus.

Mackenzie Hale is a former tutor and supplemental instructor for IAP who currently works as a Resident Assistant for IAP. Hale said that before 2020, IAP students were housed in the Berkshire Apartments, a complex much closer to campus, but problems with pests, rodents and management prompted the switch to Park Crest. However, current IAP students say that bugs are also a problem in the Park Crest apartments.

Selma Nour Mallem was an IAP student in 2020 and is currently a tutor working for the program. Mallem was raised in Algeria, where she studied French and Arabic. Mallem said she enjoyed her time in IAP.

“So AIP was more convenient as a prep for me to be 100% prepared to be in AU,” Mallem said.

To hear the whole story, be on the lookout for the new episode of Ripped from the Wall on Spotify, Apple Podcasts and other podcast platforms.

Katerina Panos