Critical. Subversive. Irrepressible.

AWOL

Critical. Subversive. Irrepressible.

AWOL

Critical. Subversive. Irrepressible.

AWOL

Potential divestment, disclosure and policy targets following SJP demands
Magazine Release
The Magazine has been released!

Spring 2023 Issue 32

Dear Reader,
Thank you for picking up a copy of our latest edition. This is our 32nd issue of the magazine. AWOL is proudly in its 15th year of production. The theme of this edition is the uncertainty of the future. It’s about accepting what we may not know while still fighting to uncover the truth.

Despite not knowing what comes next, our stories reflect investigations that reveal what has been right in front of us. The cover story by Grace Higgins and Vanessa Levins focuses on the new and unfamiliar presence of Artificial Intelligence in an academic setting.

We close out our magazine with details on our upcoming multimedia projects. Our podcast episode from The Hum interview students on how they envision their lives five years from now. The latest multimedia mini-documentary focuses on the unknowns of AU’s mascot, Clawed Z. Eagle and how students feel about school spirit on campus.

Though this edition is about the future, I can’t help but reflect on the success during the past year at AWOL. At the beginning of the Fall 2022 semester, AWOL had eight members. Now, as we end the Spring 2023 semester, we have nearly 60 members with unlimited potential. I witnessed several writers become incredible journalists this year, and I look forward to reading AWOL’s future work as an alum. The success of AWOL is certain. You may be reading this in 2023, and maybe you’ll come across this edition again in 10 years when you’re shuffling through the contents of an old college bin. Whenever you stumble across this magazine, I hope you read it and see that we write all of our stories with the intention of being critical, subversive and irrepressible.

I want to thank AWOL’s E-board for their devotion to this organization and determination to perfect this magazine. Serving as Editor-in-Chief this year has been an honor. I am incredibly grateful for the people I have met and my overall experience in this
organization.

To you, the reader, I want to express my appreciation for your time. Thank you for choosing to read this edition and acknowledging our hard work in this magazine. Until we meet again.

All the best,

Bonnie Bishop

Editor-in-Chief

This letter is from AWOL’s 32nd print edition.