A Slam Dunk Event: AU Slam Team Hosts First Open Mic of the Semester

Evie Lacroix

Huddled around the entrance to Davenport Coffee Lounge, poets and admirers alike stood in small groups. Some formed in loose circles, laughing quietly as they milled about. Others positioned themselves off to the side, practicing the work they had prepared for the night.

American University’s poetry club, Mightier Than Swords, hosted their first open mic of the semester on Sept. 24 in part to scope out talent for their slam poetry team, as well to raise awareness of the group among students.

“It’s interesting because on a lot of other college campuses slam poetry teams are a big deal,” said Kendall Baron, club treasurer and sophomore in SPA. “We had events last year, and people came, but when you say ‘oh I’m a part of the AU Slam Team’, people respond with ‘what the hell is that?’ We definitively want to see freshman, new people, and people that are interested but don’t know where to start, perform tonight.”

Slam poetry is an extension of spoken word poetry. It takes poems that are meant to be read out loud, and introduces elements of performance, according to Baron. 

The slam poetry team was created three years ago, and is comprised of five members. It is a faction of the poetry club, which meets every Tuesday night at 7pm in Kay Spiritual Center conducting writing workshops.  Members interested in being on the slam team compete against each other at the end of the fall semester in a poetry slam event. 

Once the team is comprised, they compete internationally at College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational (CUPSI). CUPSI is run by the Association of College Unions International. According to their website, CUPSI aims to enrich students “by sharing poetry, embracing the value of inclusivity, and supporting a program in which ‘Everyone’s voice is welcome.’” Last spring, Mightier Than Swords placed 23rd out of 68 teams. To qualify for semifinals, teams have to place in the top 20.

In preparation for this event, eBoard members hope to host a regional event with Howard University, George Washington University, Georgetown University, New York University and University of Maryland College Park to get to know other poets in the area, and practice for CUPSI.  

Outside the Dav, waiting for the doors to open for the open mic, roommates Paola Loba, sophomore in SIS, and Elspeth Reilly, an undeclared sophomore waited patiently.

Reilly bounced around as she waited, it was her first time performing poetry.

“I like the idea of slam poetry, and how powerful it is,” Reilly said. “It has a lot more expression. You are encouraged not to let the words speak for themselves but pure emotions doing the talking.”

It was Loba’s first open mic as well, coming to support her roommate. She continuously praised Reilly’s poetry, negating the negative thoughts Reilly continued to spout off, “[Reilly’s] poem is so good, how could you not consider saying it.” 

When the doors opened people packed the coffee shop. It was a full house, with 50 audience members semi-circled around the the impromptu stage in front of the bakery display.

First the members of the slam team recited pieces from last year’s CUPSI competition. They spoke with bravado, warmly welcoming all as a preface.

One by one others recited their poetry. Some were visibly nervous, quiet in their diction and closed in their stance. Others were natural performers, reciting from memory.

Reilly was one of the last performers, timid in posture, but confident in tone.

“Everyone that has come up here has been really brave speaking and I want to be a little more like you,” Reilly said to the audience before her poem.