AU Dems Prepare to March

Antoinette D’Addario

While thousands gathered at Donald Trump’s inauguration, whether to cheer or protest, members of American University’s Democrats gathered in a small room in the McDowell Hall to prepare for the Women’s March on Washington on Jan. 21. About 25 students were hard at work creating posters with slogans such as “Keep History Intersectional” and “Together We Rise” under the direction of new President Emily Hamm.

Hamm is a sophomore Communications, Legal Institutions, Economics and Government (CLEG) major from Sacramento, Calif. While California is considered one of the more liberal states in the nation, Hamm’s congressional district is split almost 50-50 when it comes to party registration. 

Her family and friends are a long time Democrats and supported Clinton throughout her Presidential run. Hamm herself spent last semester organizing trips to nearby states to knock on doors and encourage people to vote for Clinton. 

The Women’s March on Washington is an issue close to the long-time feminist’s heart. 

“To me, the march is important because it was organized by women, for women,” Hamm said, sitting by a window looking over the rain-soaked campus. 

“Throughout his campaign Trump has been awful and sexist, not to mention has marginalized other minority communities. This march is a way to show that women are powerful and have a voice.”

She hopes that the march will show the new president that women are a strong force and will continue to support each other regardless of what he says in the coming years. 

“I know people who have flown here from California just to participate,” she said. 

While this was not the candidate Hamm had hoped would take the oath of office, she did tune in to watch Trump’s swearing-in and first Presidential speech. For her, this was both a moment of acceptance and a wake-up call. She plans to spend the next four years working to elect democrats, first to Congress in the midterm elections in 2018 and to the White House in 2020. 

“With a Democratic Congress, Trump cannot accomplish anything he wants to do,” she chuckled. 

Even with violence against protesters on Friday, Hamm is not overly concerned about tomorrow’s march. 

“The organizers have made it clear that this is a nonviolent march and have worked with the police to avoid violence,” she said. 

However, she recognizes that some violence is not improbable.

“I think when you get this many people together, with tensions has high as they are, some violence is inevitable,” she said. 

Going forward, Hamm intends to continue aiding liberal efforts in D.C. and neighboring states. 

“I believe the best way to advocate is by having your voice heard in the voting booth,” she said. 

While Trump’s words and actions have been troubling, Hamm does not see him as the biggest threat. 

“He’s awakened this group of misogynistic, racist, homophobic and transphobic people who used to be silent,” she said. 

Hamm is concerned there will be an increase in hate crimes and other everyday issues, things much harder to see than a physical wall.